Wednesday, 9 March 2016

12 Mixed Media Works of 2016 ~ March ~ Cardboard Carving

 Welcome to the second episode of 12 Mixed Media Works of 2016

This month I wanted to try something a little different...
I'm calling it cardboard carving, I'm sure you've seen variations of this technique before but the idea of creating shadows and different texture with a piece of scrap cardboard, on a portrait seemed a fun idea... something to maybe encourage your creative mind to wander and play?

It could be a great gift, or cover for a sketchbook, journal or the top of a special handmade gift box.



Supplies:
  • Cardboard(from those lovely parcels that occasionally arrive and you're sure you can recycle a side or two)
  • Mixed media templates and face stamps(links below)
  • Rose Border Stamp set
  • Coloured pencils (I used Stabilo All ~ White, Brown, Black and Red)
  • Inks: Versafine; Onyx Black and Smokey Gray. Luxe; Wedding Dress. Distress; Walnut Stain.
  • Posca pens

I have put together a little video showing the steps to create this piece...
I've kept to a 7x7 inch mixed media square like last months but you can create any size piece you want.




I wanted to keep the cardboard tones, 
so kept to only four coloured pencils.
The white ink just touching the bumps really help them stand out
It was fun to only use three colours for the flowers 
The close up of the face really shows the pencil, I liked her soft blue eyes.
I think a sentiment would fit very well on this piece, and maybe some dimension by adding cardboard layers. It can certainly be worked on.


I was delighted to see that someone joined in with last month's Mixed Media works, Yay, thank you Aurora.

Thank you and Have FUN!!!
Upload Your Project:




4 comments:

  1. Yes! I was looking forward to see which would be the next theme! Haven't seen the video yet, but this post has already put my brain to work. Who know wait will come out. LOL.
    Thank you for this idea. It's great inspiration for newbies like me.
    Cheers,
    Aurora

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is amazing!
    first time see this!
    so nice!
    Bad Kitty's Craftroom
    >^.^<
    Fiki

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this , Thanks Kim for sharing...
    Hugs Kay xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fantastic piece Kim, I love it and the subtle pencil colouring is gorgeous! Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Enjoy a wonderfully creative day!
HuGs Kim