Monday, 4 April 2016

12 Mixed Media Works of 2016 ~ April ~ Gothic Whimsy

 Welcome to April's episode of 12 Mixed Media Works of 2016

This month I wanted to try something a little different...
I'm calling it Gothic Whimsy, I'm sure you've seen variations of this style, but it's quite dark for me but not too dark so a little whimsy too...  I wanted to give the feeling of a dark or mysterious fairytale portrait, it seemed a fun idea... something to maybe stimulate your creative mind?

It could be a great gift, or cover for a sketchbook, journal 
or the front of a special handmade greeting card.



Supplies:
  • Watercolour paper, I've used hot pressed (nice and smooth)
  • Cardboard(I'm using up some cereal box card)
  • Mixed media templates and profile face stamps(links below)
  • Rose Border Stamp set(again I know)
  • Coloured pencils (I used Stabilo All ~ Brown)
  • Caran D'ache Neocolor II; Ochre.
  • Inks: Versafine; Onyx Black Luxe; Rhubarb Stalk. Distress; Walnut Stain.
  • Dylusions Ink Sprays; Postbox Red; Melted Chocolate; Pomegranate Seed.
  • Posca pens

I have put together a little video showing the steps to create this piece...
I've kept to a 7x7 inch mixed media square like last months but you can create any size piece you want.



It's a simple colour palette and I love how the red makes the girl pop.
I am definitely drawn to pixie, pointy and elven ears... anyone else watching Shannara Chronicles?
So some of the Dylusions ink came off onto her face when I was adding glue to the back, at least it's only a little smudge.
All the hand drawing was a very loose, sketchy style as I wanted an aged look, it also eases off on your inner critic. 




Here's the place to share your own project inspired by this month's 

"12 MMW of 2016"...

To Get Started: 
Click on the (add your link) button at the bottom of the post. 
After you enter your info, click (next step) and you'll be able to select the photo you wish to display. 
*note: you may link from your blog or from a public hosting site. please only post your project photo relating to this month's mixed media work...
And your's could be picked to win a lovely Paperbabe Stamps Prize.


2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments!
Enjoy a wonderfully creative day!
HuGs Kim